Friday, November 19, 2010

"For the Win" Review

"For the Win" is a book by Cory Doctorow and is about the making of a union, the Webblies, where many workers (mostly in Asia) unite and fight for better wages and better working conditions. Also, the book takes you into the protests and strikes of people in the union. The protesters stand strong, even though they are beaten, shot, and arrested. This book also has many subplots and shows the lives of many gold farmers who are people who play games like MMORPG's and sell the items and gold they earn in those games for real money. This book also shows the bad conditions and pay of people in China and India. The author takes you to many different places and situations of different people and connects every single person to everyone else. It also delves into the economies of different games.

I know that my summary sounded a bit confusing, but that is because it is not really that easy to summarize. I enjoyed this book. One of the things I like about this book is that it explains how economies work and how inflation works, in order to help the reader understand what is going on in the book even better. If you read this book, you will definitely learn something. Also, this book reveals a lot about corruption and I like how the author takes you into the union protests and shows how the unionized people stand together for what they believe in. The characters are well- formed and very dynamic. This book is good, but I wouldn't say it is the best around. This book is not one of those really thrilling books that keep you on your seat for a long time.It is really long and I believe only teens should read it. If you have ANY questions about this book, leave a comment below and I will get back to you ASAP. Get this book here: For the Win

No comments:

Post a Comment